Monday, February 6, 2012

Bean Thirteen and Long Division

I introduce long division with remainders by reading the book Bean Thirteen to my class.

Then, I teach long division this cool way. When we practice, we change the bugs from the story to people attending a party and we imagine the beans as plates of hot dogs. You'll get it if you read the book.

The students ask themselves three questions as they  divide: how many do we each get? (divide) How many did we eat altogether? (multiply) and How many are left over? (count on) It's super cool, and my kids are way better at long division this year. They can divide nine digit numbers in a matter of seconds.

Here's the poster I made to help my students with the steps.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds fun. I just ordered the book so I can try next year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete