Friday, February 17, 2012

Circuit Board Games!


A couple of weeks ago, we turned our classroom into a giant circuit. I filled a battery (bucket) with  energy (pattern blocks) and connected a wire (yarn) from the battery to a light (a student standing by a bucket and holding a yellow light in the air.) Then, we connected the wire back to the battery to demonstrate that the electricity in a circuit needs to go in a complete circle. The remaining students walked along the wire picking up energy, then brought it to drop off in the bucket in front of the light. We observed the effects of resistors (two students London-bridging over the wire) and what happens when there's a break in the circuit. I wish I had taken a picture of this activity- it's SO fun for the kids.

This week, my students made circuit board review games to revisit some geometry skills before the mid-year math test. I will post a picture on Wednesday next week.

I introduced the project and one student exclaimed, "WOW! It's a mixture of science and math!!" :0)

I gave directions for how to make the circuit board- how to set up the battery, light, and connecting wires. They had to figure out how to make the light work when touching the long wires to the matching question and answer brads. They knew that the electricity in a circuit had to travel on a circular path- all they had to do was connect the question and answer brads on the back, and voila- they had a home-made light-up matching game!

After about eight tense minutes of problem solving, a student figured out the solution,

"I DID IT!" she squealed.

The other students rushed over to try to peek at the solution, but she and her partner concealed their board.

Eventually, I helped the students who weren't so quick to catch on, and it was a great learning experience for everyone. (And we used the boards the next day for math!)

Here's how to set the board up:
Tips:
  • Students worked in groups of 2-3.
  • We used cardboard for the main part of the game. It was a little flimsy, but the students could push the brads right through and poke a pencil through for the light bulb hole.
  • I had the kids glue graph paper to the cardboard to keep their writing and brads straight.
  • I printed out some geometry worksheets from Superteacherworksheets.com for the kids to use for the questions and answers.
  •  Have students tape the light fixture and battery securely to the back of the board.
Let me know if you try it! 

UPDATE:
Next time I have my class complete this project, I'll have them use a shoebox instead of a piece of a box. That way, all of the circuit parts will be hidden inside of the box. The brads will go in the lid.


7 comments:

  1. This project looks like so much fun! Thank for sharing!!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea of helping children learn about electronics and circuit boards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post. I like to share this post with my friends and book mark this interesting page. Keep it up.pcb design

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this project! We use file folders and aluminum foil as the conductor. it wraps around the brad just like wire and so much cheaper! then set up a few circuits around the room so the kids can check their answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't know foil would work. It doesn't shock the kids? Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insulate the foil with masking tape to separate the circuits. No shocking required.
    I'm hoping to use a science backboard to create an interactive exhibit, so I'm here to grab your ideas!

    ReplyDelete