Saturday, February 11, 2012

Double Digit Multiplication Signs


When I introduce double digit multiplication to my fourth graders, I have them solve the problems in three colors. They set up the problem and write the plus sign, line and zero in pencil. Then, I have them take a colored pencil and have them draw a check coming out of the bottom ones place number. They always begin their check at the top ones place.

They multiply the first digit and write the answers in the first colored pencil color. When they switch to the tens place digit, they switch colored pencils. They draw the next check and start again. This helps them remember the order to multiply and also to only add the top number in the color that they're working with. :) Yay, brain research!

My long division sign has been popular on TPT, so I thought I'd add a multiplication sign as well. I have my students write check marks before they multiply to help them remember the correct order. The sign is a cute visual to help them remember the steps.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this. My daughter was struggling with it and I showed her how to do it this way and in one lesson, she had it down!

    ReplyDelete