Sunday, February 12, 2012

Electricity and Circuits Lapbooks



This is the first time I have had my students create lapbooks- and they absolutely LOVE it! To set the lapbook up, we tri-fold a big piece of construction paper. I have the kids staple together five pieces of notebook paper that they've folded in half hamburger-style. They glue their "notebooks" to the bottom middle section and they glue their vocabulary sheets to the top middle part.
At the start of each lesson, I project a Flip Chart that has the lesson's key vocabulary word. The students copy down the word and definition on their vocab pages- which I have copied so that they are all rightside up when the students are writing. After about two minutes, we discuss the word, illustrate it, and write a sentence with it. See Marzano's Six-Step Vocabulary teaching process


At the start of the unit, I read the book, Charged Up: The story of Electricity. It's written in comic-book style. Then, we talk about electric safety and the students make a comic about electric safety. 

In the bottom right corner, I have the students make a pocket-mod style book titled Important Scientists. In one lesson, I read the stories of Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, and Isaac Newton (force and motion) and I have the kids illustrate a picture of each scientist making their big discovery (ex: Ben and the kite, Isaac and the apple, Edison and the lightbulb) Then they summarize the scientist's discovery (using Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then.)

Stay tuned for info about the circuit boards my students made last week!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the lapbooks in science - I did my first one for the planets in our space unit. Yours look fantastic!!! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I'm excited to be following you!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete