Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Teaching Area, Perimeter, and Volume




When I begin teaching area, volume, and perimeter to my fourth graders, I start by reading my class Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immiter. Then,  we play Angles and Edges (from the book) using our math tiles.

To help students remember the difference between area, volume, and perimeter, I recorded a song. You can get it here!

You can use the words for free- you just don't get the snazzy music and my beautiful singing voice that comes with the MP3. It's sung to the tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down."



Area, Perimeter, Volume Song

Area is length times width
To carpet it
Use length times width
Multiply both sides, that’s it!
To find the area.

Perimeter’s the length around
Put a fence in the ground
Find the length around
Add all sides and you have found
The perimeter!

Volume tells us how much stuff
Will fit in a cup
If we fill it up
Length times width times height is what
We use to find the volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment