Tell your other fourth grade teacher friends about this post!
Last year, I earned a Master's Degree in Literacy. My final project was to make something for my classroom that would help me teach writing. After reading tons of research and professional books on writing, I decided to make an interactive Writing Resource for my students. We used a writing resource last year that was NOT interactive- it was just pages of information- and the students hardly ever referred to it.
My students use this every day as a reference as to what great writers do. And it truly helps their writing.
Let me know what you think! I love comments!
Below are some pictures of the different pages in the book. The captions say which picture books I use to teach each lesson. :)
|Click the picture to get it at Teacher's Notebook!|
Minilesson Books to Correspond with Pages
- Juicy Verbs: Animal Action ABCs
- Juicy Adjectives: Fancy Nancy and Thesaurus Rex
- Figurative Language: Muddy as A Duckpuddle, Crazy like a Fox, My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks
- Bada BING Sentences
- Hooks: After writing these hooks together, we read stories from Chicken Soup for the Kids' Soul and identify hook techniques.
- Memorable Endings: Do this lesson the day after Hooks
- Transition Sets: Use with transition sets from Step up to writing:
- Parts of Speech: Read different Words are Categorical books throughout the year and have students add examples to this page.
- Word of the Day: Use these pages for daily vocabulary words- either academic or from the Basal- encourage students to use these "juicy" words in their writing!
Click on the picture of the cover to get it at Teacher's Notebook!