Sunday, March 11, 2012

Writing Resource Notebook!! Hours of research and work PLUS picture books to correspond! :)

Tell your other fourth grade teacher friends about this post!

Last year, I earned a Master's Degree in Literacy. My final project was to make something for my classroom that would help me teach writing. After reading tons of research and professional books on writing, I decided to make an interactive Writing Resource for my students. We used a writing resource last year that was NOT interactive- it was just pages of information- and the students hardly ever referred to it.

My students use this every day as a reference as to what great writers do. And it truly helps their writing.

Let me know what you think! I love comments!

Below are some pictures of the different pages in the book. The captions say which picture books I use to teach each lesson. :)
Click the picture to get it at Teacher's Notebook!




Minilesson Books to Correspond with Pages
  • Juicy Verbs: Animal Action ABCs
  • Juicy Adjectives: Fancy Nancy and Thesaurus Rex
  • Figurative Language: Muddy as A Duckpuddle, Crazy like a Fox, My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks
  • Bada BING Sentences
  • Hooks: After writing these hooks together, we read stories from Chicken Soup for the Kids' Soul and identify hook techniques.
  • Memorable Endings: Do this lesson the day after Hooks
  •  Transition Sets: Use with transition sets from Step up to writing:
  • Parts of Speech: Read different Words are Categorical books throughout the year and have students add examples to this page.
  • Word of the Day: Use these pages for daily vocabulary words- either academic or from the Basal- encourage students to use these "juicy" words in their writing!
This is a great resource you'll use ALL the time in writing. It's a great way to organize learning!
 Click on the picture of the cover to get it at Teacher's Notebook!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla! This looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Krista! I just sent the pages off to be copied for my class next year! :)
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just printed your writing sheets and plan on using them next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these resources. I teach 5th grade language arts and use the Step-Up-to-Writing curriculum. Your pages are "super supplements."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not find the Persuasive Transitions that appear on Pinterest anywhere on your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took them down because I didn't want to plagiarize Step Up to Writing. In my Writing Resource Notebook, there is a different transition page. You can check it out here:
      http://www.teachersnotebook.com/product/mnschenk/writing-resource-personal-narrative-writing-booklets
      Sorry for the bummer!

      Delete