Monday, March 12, 2012

Leprechaun Limericks

I love when the state writing test is over. We get to FINALLY switch writing genres.

That being said, I have a confession to make:

I have a deep, dark fear of asking kids to write rhyming poetry.

Some kids are AWESOME at rhyming. Many others choose words that rhyme..... but make NO sense.

So, for some reason, I've gone mental and decided I really want to have my kids try to write limericks. Today I read a leprechaun book to the class and we brainstormed some rhyming words for three different names (they came up with their own three independently.)

Here are the steps I am taking to make these rhyming poems happen.
  • I read the class a few examples from a website.
  • We wrote a class poem together.
  • Tomorrow, we will read a BUNCH of limericks from this website.
  • They have brainstormed leprechaun names that have at least five possible rhymes.
  • I will let the kids use rhyme.com tomorrow.
I hope that the students can make it happen. If not, I should probably have a fallback poem for the kids to write.

Anyway, here's a picture of my limerick poem template- border art is from the 3AM teacher. There are two pages on a sheet. :)





Do any of you DARE teach rhyming poetry lessons? Do you have any helpful hints??

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla, I love your limerick idea! I am also jealous that you are done with your state writing test...mine isn't until April!!! I am your newest follower and I wanted to give you a little award! Hop on over to my blog to receive it!! Congrats!

    Andrea
    One Teacher's Take

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayla, I just wrote a post about writing we did that links to your idea. I found yours after we did ours, but it will be great to do next year! My post will be up on Saturday. Hopefully some of my followers will come your way. Thanks for sharing!

    Miss B, Busy Bee

    ReplyDelete