That being said, I have a confession to make:
I have a deep, dark fear of asking kids to write rhyming poetry.
Some kids are AWESOME at rhyming. Many others choose words that rhyme..... but make NO sense.
So, for some reason, I've gone mental and decided I really want to have my kids try to write limericks. Today I read a leprechaun book to the class and we brainstormed some rhyming words for three different names (they came up with their own three independently.)
Here are the steps I am taking to make these rhyming poems happen.
- I read the class a few examples from a website.
- We wrote a class poem together.
- Tomorrow, we will read a BUNCH of limericks from this website.
- They have brainstormed leprechaun names that have at least five possible rhymes.
- I will let the kids use rhyme.com tomorrow.
Anyway, here's a picture of my limerick poem template- border art is from the 3AM teacher. There are two pages on a sheet. :)
Do any of you DARE teach rhyming poetry lessons? Do you have any helpful hints??