Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mystery Prizes!


So I saw a really cute idea on Pinterest the other day and I thought I'd give it a try: DIY Scratch Off Stickers.

Right when I saw this post, I knew I HAD to try it for next year! We're starting our stoplight behavior system school-wide next year (and we're using my bilingual intermediate and primary planners!! :) ) I wanted a super-exciting to reward my students if they get a whole week of green stoplights, so I got typing and made up some little reward cards:
 
Then, I jetted on over to Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon loaded up on my iPhone.  I bought the 81/2 x 11 green cardstock stack:

 I also found a great deal on a nautical bell while I was there! (I'm going to mount it and have my students ring the IXL Bell when they master a skill!)







Back to the stickers- I grabbed some GREEN and silver paint and some contact paper from the dollar store to get the job done. I followed all of Art Mind's directions- however, it took EIGHT coats of the paint-soap solution to hide the image. Perhaps I should've chosen to use black paint instead...



I painted the sheet of contact paper BEFORE I cut it into 1'' squares- I'm lazy and impatient when it comes to craft time. :)

I think they turned out pretty cute, however, I will probably buy the bigger size of acrylic paint next time-  I painted a pretty big area and maybe I was spreading the paint too thinly... Also, I discovered that Amazon sells 500 packs of 1'' stickers for around $17- in case you want to go the extra easy route.

Here are my finished scratch-off reward cards:




These will just be for use within my classroom, but I was thinking about coming up with a second set to use as a fundraiser for the sixth grade field trip:

THE MYSTERY PRIZE FUNDRAISER
75 Cents a Scratch- $1.00 for two!

Maybe the grand mystery prize (in a big, fancy bag with a giant question mark, of course) could be a Magic School Bus and popcorn party for the winner's class... Pretty cheap, but still exciting!

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. So cute, I saw this on Pinterest! Great idea!

    I am your newest follower. I just started my own blog
    Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, and I'm sure the kids will, too! Looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete