Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Made It Linky


Oooh! I was SO excited to see this linky hosted by Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics because I JUST had the MOST fun re-making my classroom ottomans.

But before I start talking about my craft, I'm excited to announce that my principal has ordered five iPads for my classroom next year! I'm about to take high-tech to the NEXT LEVEL!! WAHOO! I'm SUPER excited. If you know of any iPad-using teacher blogs I need to be following, let me know in the comments!

Now, back to the craft... Have you ever reupholstered something?? Seriously, you need to.

I brought these cube ottomans to my classroom two years ago because they were looking too beat up to stay at my house. Well, two years and fifty students later, here is what my ottomans looked like:


Before: note the tape holding this thing together.
So I got out my iPhone, loaded up my  coupon for 40% off at Hobby Lobby, and drove on down to get some fabric. I had just put my bulletin board paper up (black and white polka dot wrapping paper... more on that another time...) And decided I'd try to match my room theme: black, white, and green- our school colors. It was SUPER fun and easy to staple the fabric to the ottoman. I could do this every day.

Almost done!

And here is the finished product! It cost less than $15 for two ottomans. Some students from last year came back to my room to visit during summer school and they LOVED how much better they looked. One girl (who was always very enthusiastic about my new ideas and projects) said, "Uhhh! No fair! Now I want to be in this classroom all over again!! (lol)
Ta DA!!

Gotta Love 'em!

------

 P.S. Only six days until we leave for the Kagan Workshop at the Disney Hilton in Orlando! Stay tuned!

-Kayla



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really proud of my work. Now, I'm obsessed with the idea of reupholstering a church pew to match...

      I just have to find a free or cheap pew.. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm just stopping by to let you know that I'm giving you the Versatile Blogger award! Stop by my blog to read more about it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Congrats on receiving the award, yourself

      Delete
  3. Holy cow those came out amazing!!! Too funny, the tape holding them together before! I love them:)) Congrats on the ipads!!! You and your kiddos will have a blast learning with them:)) Thanks for linking up:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job!

    Emily
    I Love My Classroom
    www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your project

    I'm so jealous that you're going to a Kagan workshop. I will be looking forward to your updates. Their 'stuff' is so good. AND if you tell me your district is sending you...I will be jealous.

    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The workshop was AWESOME! And YES, my district did send me- I work for OPS- which is the biggest district in Nebraska... I think. We're fortunate that we had the funding for this kind of PD. What district do you work for, Pat?

      Delete
  6. I just awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award! Come check it out http://ericashep.blogspot.com/2012/07/winner-july-currently-and-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great face-lift! I love your past student's comment. How sweet! I am giving away a $20 TPT gift certificate. Come visit and enter to win! :)

    Delighted in Second

    ReplyDelete