Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fun Descriptive Writing/ Figurative Language Foldable

Can you guess what character I'm describing?

Who Doesn't love a good riddle or mystery? My students loved this foldable writing project. AND they wrote at least 16 original similes while completing it! Here's how to use it.


How I Used This Foldable:

1.     Read a book about similes such as Crazy as a Fox, My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks, or Muddy as a Duckpuddle. Discuss Similes and add examples to students’ writing resources.
2.     Pass out the character cards from The Making It Teacher on TPT.com (and follow her!) http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Partner-Picking-Cards
3.     Have the students write eight simile clues to describe their character.
4.     If students finish early, have them select another card (this time, it’s their choice- they were very motivated to finish the first one so they could choose their own for the second simile.
5.     Have students Simultaneous Roundtable (Kagan Structure) edit their papers for conventions (have all students in the pod of four correct all of the other students’ papers- use a timer.) They should also check to verify that their teammate’s riddle is guessable.
6.     Have students publish their riddles on the folded and cut final draft paper. They can draw the character under the Who am I? Flap. Copy the pages so they’re double sided and students can publish two.
7.     Have students Stand Up, Hand Up, Pair Up to share their Who Am I? Riddles. Switch several times so students get to guess several other students’ riddles.

I hope your students enjoy this as much as mine did!

4 comments:

  1. I too am a huge technology fan, loved your post...I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Click below to see the post! Enjoy!

    Award Post

    Dana :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much- that's so nice of you!

      Delete
  2. Congrats, I just nominated you for The Liebster Award is given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. It is to show new bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs.

    Get details by visiting my blog:
    http://drkilgore.blogspot.com/2012/12/wow-woooohooooooo-i-just-got-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I appreciate your support!

      Delete