Wednesday, July 10, 2013

DIY CHEAP ( Basically FREE) Wall Decals


Last night, I was wondering if this would work on my wall. I really wanted an "every child is an artist" decal like the one pictured here. But I wanted it for free.
Last week, I went crazy for making my own signs. It's so amazing and CHEAP!
Here are some examples:
Pumpkin Patch Sign- Check out my vertical pumpkins!


These three were completely FREE- I made them using some leftover garden fencing and spraypaint. 

Anyway, after my sign making kick was over, I wondered if I could apply this awesome technique to other things in my life. I decided to try it on my wall, and it worked! 
If you'd like to try, here are the steps:
1. Print a backwards phrase on an inkjet printer. I used PowerPoint to do this.

2. Level the phrase out and tape it together. Pay attention to the spacing. I had to redo one word because the spacing was atrocious. :)

3. Tape to your wall.

4. Rub a little bit of water on a letter until it becomes darker. Too much water will make you rip the page.

5. Rub the letters off onto the wall. I used the back of my foam paintbrush. Just use something similar.

6. Resist the urge to peel it off and check when you're 1/3 of the way done. 
7. Peel it off when you've rubbed every letter and VOILA! You've got a free, personalized decal. I like that it looks like pencil or charcoal because of the message on the sign.
 If you mess up on part of your decal, the good news is that you can scrub it off and redo it!
Look at that dang spacing between "is," and "an."

Water and a sponge worked wonders.

Here's this thing. You know, in case you want to pin it. :)

If you try this, I MUST see a picture! Please leave a link in the comments.

I just love my daughter's little art wall. It's my new favorite spot in the house. Now I have to think about how I'll use this in my classroom. Hmmm. Any ideas?



Happy Wednesday!




4 comments:

  1. I have never heard about that technique before. I will have to try that!
    Rachel
    la Señorita Creativa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clothesline style idea! I have the main wall of my class that has vents and thermostats right in the middle. I could use this to mask the awkward placement without obstructing the vents. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great article, beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing this. I will share it through my twitter.
    fromquotes wall sticker

    ReplyDelete