Saturday, October 5, 2013

FREE Intermediate Word Work Menu



The joys of word work with adolescent boys. Ha!

I just finished my intermediate word work menu and wanted to share!
 I searched all over Pinterest and Blogland to find a collection of intermediate word work ideas and I have finally found what I needed. My kids will use their Storytown (basal) robust vocabulary, along with academic vocabulary for these. They get to choose a new activity each day with the goal of completing all of the activities before the quarter is over. Here are the options on the menu!

















If you are one of the people who inspired me, feel free to leave a comment and I'll give you credit! I searched through many blogs, late into the night- and wasn't thinking about credits- I was just wanting to get this finished for my classroom. Feel free to use my editable menu in your classroom as well! Click the picture below to get it for FREE in my shop!

In my room, I put all of the needed supplies into a tub. 


Most of the squares don't require materials, but if you want to do this, you'll need:
  • One Spelling and Language VersaTiles booklet for each grade level equivalent reading level you have.
  • A thesaurus
  • Some kind of cards with idioms on them
 
  • Some Words are Categorical Books: like this one.
  • Daily Word Ladders
\
I split this book up into thirds so I could share with my team.














Model the choices one day at a time and it should be completely up and running in 16 days! 
My students are really enjoying having the choices during their word work rotation! 

What do your intermediate students do for word work? I'd love to know!

Freebie Fridays



2 comments:

  1. By the examples, I was wondering if you teach from the 6th grade Storytown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I teach the Storytown vocabulary words two a day as a warm up before writing class.

    ReplyDelete